I learned a lot form ISCORE and do think it is something I would attend again next year. These sessions led me to a new perspective of how I treat people and how I need to be more aware or open to new experiences.
Sunday, March 7, 2010
Iowa State Conference on Race and Ethnicity
I really enjoyed the Iscore sessions I went to on Friday. First of all Hannah did amazing at her presentation on Latin Americans. I learned so much and really feel as though her session opened my eyes. There were so many things about the news and facts that I had no idea existed. I also attended the afternoon session entitled So What Are You? I think this session put into perspective for a lot of people. Often times we ask people just so we feel like we can understand, but for most Caucasian americans its not like we are being approached about our background. I thought it was also interesting when they compared the way we treat people in the US in terms of racial questioning as opposed to other countries where it is really not an issue. I think these sessions are important in terms of our mentoring because we will not have students of all the same background and it keeps us in check of how we should act. We need to treat all of our students with the same respect and make sure that we create a respectful atmosphere for all our students.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment